THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Thursday, October 6, 2011

WELCOME TO FT. DOGWOOD

This is from a blog I wrote for the original pet people blog site thru the Leaf Chronicle many moons ago--before I was involved in writing the weekly column. I loaned it to Sandy Britt to use for one of her columns--but I ran across it recently.   It is still pretty funny--so here it is again.

Welcome to Ft. Dog Wood! First line of defense and home of the Animal Army!!!
This is where hazardous duty is...well, hazardous doodie!
Service in this little company isn’t much different from that of the human military.General Lucy the Lab-- started it all (that’s right—WOMENS LIB at work)
There has been recruitment over the past six years as Charlie, Pearl and Hines have joined our merry little band of soldiers.

Who could resist that slogan?

PEE, ALL THAT YOU CAN PEE!!!

Pearl, of course, was a transfer from Ft Feline. Her specialty is night ops. She is only seen when she wants to be seen—code name “White Shadow”.

There are levels of rank: Lucy is the General, Pearl is the Lt Colonel, Hines is our Major, Charlie is a Sergeant, and …I’m a private.

***I find it extremely puzzling how I have been stationed at Ft. Dogwood the longest, yet I have the lowest rank.******

My basic training almost got the best of me as I was introduced to the life that would become routine.
First, there were routine shots and exams (none of them mine).
Then there was the endless marching ( up 7th street, around the loop or down to the River Walk and back).
The pursuit of unidentified personnel (squirrels) was always surprising.
Then there was standing in the rain while my fellows lay their special land mines.
And finally, the horror of stepping on one of them (see hazardous doodie) !!!!!

I soon graduated from basic, and over my career here, I have had many work assignments at Ft. Dogwood.
I have been : Recruiter, pulled KP, done Guard duty, drove Transports , served as a Barber, a Delousing Agent, , a Supply Officer, and Handler of Hazardous Waste.
I have also become the P.L.O – Permanent Latrine Orderly (Thanks A lot Andy Griffith!)

The roughest part of being a grunt in the Animal Army at Ft. Dogwood is the 5 AM reveille.
I am forced to rise when the General and her staff arrive… or clean up the consequences.
This is usually followed by PT – Poop Trip.
Then it’s up to the mess hall for chow---Dog and Cat chow that is.
Then, after the morning routine, they all file into quarters and go back to sleep.

In retrospect, our company has seen a lot of action.
There have been messy campaigns such as: Operation Couch Cushion, the Battle of the Bathroom Rug, and the unforgettably destructive War of the Wet Mattress Corner.
My least favorite duty is cleaning up after Target Practice (see War of the Wet Mattress Corner).
My superiors are demanding, yet very kind. I am constantly rewarded for my service.
I have received the commendation of Lubbins, 1st Class, Litter Paws, 2nd Class, and the Purple Snout (personally presented from Major Hines).

I hope someday to be promoted, but somehow I just don’t see it.
I have been lucky so far in this four legged troop.
I guess I’m in for life---a career man---

After all these years, you can’t even pick me out—I’m just another dog face.




No comments:

Post a Comment