THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Tuesday, October 11, 2011

MY DAILY MEDS



Sorry if I am boring you with older material--but I found a folder full of it on my old desk top and I think it's good enuogh for a repeat.

I wrote this a few years ago when I was stressed out of my mind (and then again, when am I not). I can look back on that stressful time in my life and reflect on the stress of NOW and find the humor in it all . God save me! 

Over the past year, it seems like the pack at Dogwood has dealt with every crisis under the sun.

We started out with Hines and his bronchitis back in the spring. This hit him after he had been on the mend with a pulled leg muscle from chasing Charlie around the back yard. (Cha Ching!)
Then Lucy’s allergies kicked in and that was h*ll on wheels to get under control, even with her shots (CHA CHING!)$$$$$
THEN Charlie went thru his foot rash and four trips to the vet for it, (MAJOR CHA CHING!)$$$$$$, only to cure it myself with VICKS SAUVE as I read about its healing powers of rashes in an internet article.
THEN we went thru the terror of thinking he had an intestinal blockage, as he was throwing up and wouldn’t poop. Turned out to be an over acidic stomach and constipation. (Slight Cha Ching!)$$$$
THEN we had to rush him to the after hours clinic (CHA CHING) when we thought he had poked his eye out, which turned out to be cherry eye. But the medicine has worked and the tear duct has not floated back out of his third lid again. No surgery until it happens or becomes a problem (Negative -Cha Ching)-$$$$
NOW, Lucy has another bladder infection and is on medications. She goes back for more blood work and tests this weekend as her “gravity” urine level is way off. She has been mean as a cougar for the past couple of weeks, but I know that she is miserable.
(Oh yeah –BIG CHA CHING)$$$$$
All the pet problems piled up on everything else.
Better Half tried out the portable dishwasher  bought at the shelterYard sale and conveniently washed down the kitchen and broke the spicket to boot. (Cha Ching!)
My job is wearing me out like an old over coat and there is little sign of improving that situation. Gas prices of the past few months have been killing us, and we seem to have more money flying out the window than sets in our wallets. Now there are rumors of being laid off from my job. I did have a job interview with Vanderbilt yesterday, but it seems that it is going to take several weeks before a decision is made on if I even get to be interviewed the second time by the big bosses.
The holidays are flying at us 90 miles an hour and I have as much holiday spirit forging inside me as the Grinch did. Better Half is going to North Dakota for Christmas and that leaves me for a week alone with the dogs. I don’t mind it, except Lucy will do nothing but lay by the back door and cry all week, which drives me insane.
The house is a disaster and if I see another piece of laundry or a dirty dish I am going to go naked and eat over the sink from that point on.
With all this going on in my life, I have times I could scream my head off and run into the street in front of a speeding car!!!
But just when I am ready to jump off that 50 story high rise in my head, I become surrounded by my babies. People who do not have animals will never know the calming and curative effect that they have on your soul.
I can always count on Charlie to lie down beside me and give me his “It’s OK Daddy, I love you.” look from those beautiful brown eyes.
And I always have Hines to back it up, jumping at me like a jack rabbit screaming “Me too, Daddy! Me too! I Love you too!!!”
And then there’s the Lucy dog, my poor little sick girl, who sits beside me like a protecting gargoyle, letting me silently know that she would protect me from the devil himself if need be.
The Pearl cat sits silently pondering, then I suddenly feel the slightest tremor of little feline feet, as I get a nuzzle of white fur on my chin ,assuring me that there are worse things in the world than what is happening to me.
Whatever crisis happens outside our hair covered, cat scratched walls, I can be assured that inside flows a fountain of quiet love, filled with wet kisses, fuzzy nuzzles, and eyes that burn with truest love and faithfulness any human could ever know.
There are five little pills I take every morning.
My brown Charlie pill gives me the knowledge that a gentle, sweet spirit can conquer all.
My black Lucy pill keeps me just a little aggravating, but keeps me willing to work things thru.
My checkered Hines pill---pure caffeine—gives me enough energy to keep me going thru the day.
My white Pearl pill--- that pill is just a little dose of attitude. The kind that says,“I could hurt you if I wanted to—but I don’t want to—so there.”
I carry every lick, every paw print, every scrape, every piece of fur that covers my clothing, as a shield from the slings and arrows of the day. My kids are in my blood. They make up the things that keep life special, and make getting up in the morning more worth while.
May be someday, I will win the lottery and become a poor, bored millionaire, with none of the worries we have now. I can build animal shelters, have a personal vet in my own house, and invest in a future where all fur babies have the chance to give their love to someone who is worn down with life. God knows there are plenty of fuzzies out there who’s hearts ache for that.
And until then, I have enough “medication” to see me thru.
After that:
the bills can be paid,
the job can be worked,
the kitchen will dry out,
the laundry can be washed,
and the dishes…can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment