THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Thursday, October 6, 2011

Music Soothes the Savage Beast--Even at Dogwood


It has been said that “music soothes the savage beast”.


All of my four legged felons were sung to as babies. Though I’m no Hank Williams, it made them happy. Those songs still echo from time to time, through the  rooms of Dogwood.

Lucy is my oldest. When she came to Dogwood, I knew as much about having a pup in the house as I did having a million dollars. She was so little, and she cried a lot. So I would sing her the “I Love Lucy” theme.

“I love Lucy and she loves me…we’re as happy as two can be…”

She would lie cradled close to my heart, and stare up at me like I was the biggest fool in the world.

I was, and still am, for my first baby girl.

Charlie wasn’t as small as Lucy had been when he arrived. But he was just as cute. He was forever tripping over his big feet, and carried a look of despair once he’d righted himself. I found out early on that Charlie would be a hand full. He was always wet, or dirty, or chewing something he wasn’t supposed to.

Some things never change.

For him, I chose “Charlie Brown” . He was a clown, my Charlie Brown. He was always getting caught at his antics, and I could just see him with his little hang dog look asking, “Why is everybody always pickin’ on me?”

Pearl came to us on a stormy night, scared to death, and I tried to calm her with a song. All I could think of was “Pearl, Pearl, Pearl ”. Flatt and Scruggs used to sing it to Pearl Bodine on the “Beverly Hillbillies”.

“Pearl, Pearl, Pearl, come be my darlin’ girl...”

I can’t sing that song anymore. It breaks my heart.

Picking a song for Hines was a tough job. “Bad to the Bone” came to mind. “HELP!” seemed another obvious choice.

But as Hines is a show off, I sang “Act Naturally” for him.

“They’re gonna put me in the movies…”

Daisy got her name because the black patch over her eye looked like a flower. For her, I chose an old song my Daddy used to play by Mother Maybelle and the Carter family called “Wildwood Flower”.

“Oh he promised to love me and called me his flower…”

Bart, otherwise known as “El Barto”, can’t sit still long enough for a tune.

But he loves the Batman Theme, changed to please as “na na na na na ,Bartman!”.

Little Sebastian’s song came to me naturally. He purrs with delight at Elton John’s “Blue Eyes”.

“Blue eyes. Babies got blue eyes…”

Yes, it a fact: music soothes my savage beasts. Since I can’t afford a full orchestra to sooth my kibosh of convicts, and Dean Martin has passed on, we’ve made do.

They don’t seem to mind.

At Dogwood, even though we’re mostly out of tune, we still manage our own special kind of harmony.

2 comments:

  1. What???!!!! No Duran Duran??? LOL ;)
    -Suzette

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there was it would be A VIEW TO A KILL--and the couch would be involved

    B

    ReplyDelete