THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Tuesday, August 23, 2011

FEELING THE HEAT AT DOGWOOD



While feeling the effects of both the electricity bill and the long hot summer, the Dogwood pack has found it hard to be both economical and comfortable.

It’s been a learning process.

To help me feel that I still had some control over my bank account, my electric bill, and my time of arrival at the poor house, I had nailed the thermostat at 72 degrees.

After days of sweating in an air conditioned house, both animal and human morale was low and tempers high. So finally, I stopped trying to do the impossible, stopped being an idiot, and dropped it to 65 degrees.

As the pack breathed a collective sigh of relief, I realized that I had single handedly saved someone from a lynch mob: me.

But even though the house has been more comfortable, my fur bearing housemates still suffer a touch of ornery now and again.

The two water bowls in the kitchen are left over artifacts from an era of space and time when only two animals, Lucy and Charlie, cohabitated at Dogwood. Even though the number of canines and felines increased over the years, the two bowls have always remained sufficient.

That is, until it hit 100 degrees outside, and all six four footed monsters decided that they were all thirsty at the same time. Sparks flew as six furry heads tried to shove in to drink at once.

Then it was on: fat cat vs. little dog in a battle that would prove to be good to the last drop.
Hines, the rat terror (I mean terrier) and feline heavy weight champion of Dogwood ,Bart, squared off like they were trapped in a shoebox, fighting for a chicken nugget. Charlie, Daisy, and even old Lucy ran for cover. Sebastian, my water loving Baptist cat, suddenly turned into a bone dry Methodist and skedaddled.

To cool both tempers and temperatures, two more water dishes were added.

But, once nature runs its course, that extra water intake has to go somewhere.
PT (poop/pee trips) is bad enough in the winter. I freeze my blue jeaned bottom off, waiting for four knuckleheads to locate and desecrate a “perfect” spot in the yard. But in this heat, I can feel my nose hair melting!

It is absolute misery, like waiting for Satan to pick the one perfect coal out of the hellfire.

By the time everyone is done, the whole pack is sweating and panting like escapees from a Georgia chain gang. This leads us back to the water bowl, where the whole cycle starts over.

Oh the pain, the pain.

Hopefully, we will soon feel the cool touch of fall temperatures outside.

Until then, I guess my four legged felons will just have muddle through.
It’s just terrible to think of their suffering as they lie around all day in an air conditioned house, watching “Lassie” on their 32 inch flat screen TV.

3 comments:

  1. Very creative Brett. Love the play on the dogwood flower too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodie goodie goodie. You will continue writing about Dogwood....

    I could not get a comment made through my google Account. This is an issue with some of the garden blogs I visit as well. Mostly new blogs..... Anyway, you will know who Skeeter is right???

    Hugs,
    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, let's see if this works. I have never been able to make this work on Tina and Skeeter's garden blog. Maybe it will here.

    Brett, I am really happy that you will keep us in the loop of the daily happenings at Dogwood. It will make it seem like you aren't so far away.

    ReplyDelete