THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Wednesday, November 9, 2011

PETS INSPIRE WRITING AND TEACH NUMEROUS LIFE LESSONS

Pictured: Little Lucy in her first year at Dogwood. Her adventures filled several journals and led to bigger and more elaborate plot devices!

I used to buy two newspapers every Wednesday: one for me, and one for Momma.

I did this because I always got such a thrill out of seeing something I wrote in print.

Don’t get the wrong idea.

It’s not that I love myself that much, or try to pat myself on the back for anything. It was such a thrill because, in school, I was always told that I couldn’t write worth a flip.

Writing has always helped me to escape, to express the thoughts that crowd my dysfunctional brain. But in college, I was advised to reconsider my passion. I tried hard, but wasn’t getting anywhere. So I got a job and dropped out.

Eleven years passed. I re-entered college and decided to try again. This time my writing was diagnosed with a different malady: it had no style. I was nudged towards news writing, which bored me to tears. I got the degree, put my pen down, and moved onto other things.

One of those things was a 10 week old Labrador retriever pup named Lucy.

As Lucy grew, I kept a little journal of her mis-adventures at Dogwood. Every cute, silly thing that she did became words on a page.

Soon our fur family grew, and the adventures I penned became epic tall tales of disaster and mayhem. The original “big three”: Lucy, Charlie and Pearl, filled my life and the journal pages, with fun, love, and craziness. I began to run out of journal.

Then I found the Pet People blog on the Leaf Chronicle website. I shared my kids quirks, and their horrible habits, and found kindred spirits who were writing their own fur-boding tales.

After Hines arrived, I started writing the column in the Leaf Chronicle. The mischief of my still growing brood leaked into the regular stories about fostering, adoption, and rescue. Daisy arrived, Pearl left us, and the last two felines, Bart and Sebastian settled in, and the fodder of their absolute bonkers behavior just kept on rolling onto the page.

I became the personal biographer to my own Royal family, and they gave me more material than I could write.

Aside from the humor and mayhem, reflecting their lives in pen and ink has taught me much: patience, perseverance, faith, and the simple fact that miracles are possible.

I am a better person because the Almighty brought Lucy, Charlie, our beloved Pearl, Hines, Daisy, Bart and Sebastian into my life.

Because their bad behavior was just too good to keep to myself, I did end up being a writer of sorts.

I wondered out loud once, why had my college writing flopped so badly.

The Better Half had the final say. “It’s clean, it’s funny, it’s sad, and it’s honest, and there is nothing wrong with that.”

I may never write the great American novel, or be the next John Boy Walton, but that’s OK. I have something much more valuable: a furry cast of characters who continue to fill me with wonder, who are always up to no good,… and will never be able to hold a pen for signing litigation to sue for me for copyright.

Well----maybe Hines could.

5 comments:

  1. I personally miss picking up the paper and seeing that goofy smile with the leash in it. At least I can still follow on here!! Love ya brother!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing about our pets gives us an endless story doesn't it? Even after they have passed over that Rainbow Bridge, our minds of full of memories thus stories of our Furry Family.... And never a dull moment in our life....

    hugs,
    Skeeter

    PS. I dont know why I cannot comment with my google acount here... Grrrrrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand why people who are "public and paid criticizers" just don't shut up already. I listen, read and watch stuff cuz *I* like it, not cuz some "critic" says it was good. Heck, sometimes I'll go ahead and read/watch/listen just to be contrary. Regardless of what ANYONE else says, you write from the heart and you tell GREAT stories!!!! That make you a great write in my mind. So, go ahead and write your novel!! I'll be in line to buy my autographed copy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the book is in re-write. I have been dabbling with it for a about a year. Pretty much it's Dogwoods life story up until after Pearl came to us. I figured I could save the rest for Part 2-LOL. You know they say never use up your best material until you find out if someones going to buy it!LOL
    Been lookinginto self publishing--as they say the old way is going the way of the dinosaurs. But just to have a couple of hundred copies done is a small fortune. And I'd have to sell them way too high. Soooo--I guess I won't be any time soon on the book. But there's always the chance of the LOTTERY! HA!
    B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved your writing! It is from the heart. And I loved your column as much as I love you! Keep working on the book. Some of the most famous artists weren't discovered until after the fact. :( I would certainly buy one! I can say, I knew him when he was working at Kroger! LOL
    Love you! Other Mom :)

    ReplyDelete