THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Tuesday, November 1, 2011

HINES GETS THE SHAM!!

Pictured: Hines, the rat terror of Dogwood, all snuggled up with his Batman Comforter


Dogwood doggie blankets are retired due to old age.
Lucy, Charlie, Hines, and Daisy are always chewing, ripping, or dragging them in some form or fashion. Of course, Daisy is the worst. I can put a full blanket in her kennel in the morning and by night fall, she is dragging a wad of thread thru the house.
My favorite source of replenishment is the Good Will. While other people are hauling out TV’s and furniture at their 50% off sale, Better Half and I are rolling out with a new mound of used comforters, and throws.
Once in a while, I find a really nice bargain for the kids. At a recent sale, I found two beautiful pillow shams that were brand new. They were heavy, quilted material, with embroidered designs and strong heavy stitching. I thought I had really made a find.
Hines, the rat terror (I mean terrier), loves to curl up in quilted, comfy blankets and snooze his days away. So he was the one who was rewarded with the beautiful puffy sham. I had barely gotten it washed, dried, and laid in his little house before he was sprawled out on it.
Hines loved his new bed, and I had no problem getting him to go in and lie down for some private time. He was so proud of it.
Last week, when Better Half and I came home from work and let everyone out into the yard for potty time, Hines was not among the gaggle of hounds that burst forth from the back door.
Usually when this happens, someone has lagged behind to forage thru the open kennels and finish someone else’s treat. But when I didn’t see Hines in the other kennels, I was ready to panic.
Then I heard a dull thump, as if a cloth covered hammer were being tapped against a plastic wall. I looked into what I thought was Hines’ empty kennel. Thumping against the plastic, the pillow shame was alive.
In his effort to find the most comfy warm spot,Hines had crawled completely inside of the sham… and now couldn’t get out. My guess was that he had curled up inside the sham and fell asleep. When Better Half and I entered, he woke up and forgot he had sealed himself up like a peanut.
Honestly, it was one of the funniest, and most pitiful, things I had ever seen. I waited for his little head to pop out so that I could help him, but he was so discombobulated that all he was able to do was stumble around in a circle. He didn’t bark, he didn’t make a sound, he just kept trying to get out.
Finally I had mercy on the piece of walking bed linen, reached in, and popped out a very confused, humbled little dog.
Like many romances, the love affair with the beautifully quilted sham was over. That’s OK, because Daisy reduced it to a rag the very next evening.

4 comments:

  1. I can well imagine how horrifying it must be to be eaten by a pillow sham. You gotta be careful with those sneaky shams. Glad Hines is ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha & Oscar BillmeyerNovember 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM

    I shouldn't be laughing...but I have a terror (I mean terrier).....and I just got a hysterically funny mental picture. My apologies, Hines, for laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so see him walking in circles in the sham! I lost my Cheetah one day and was on the verge of panic when I found her in the sham on the bed. She was so careful to not move the pillow out of place. How did she do that is beyond me. Sheba played copy-Cat and does the same thing. Now when I miss the girls, I look in the shams to find nice warm, cozy, content cats peeking back at me...

    Hugs,
    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete