THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Wednesday, November 16, 2011

ATTACK OF THE CONE HEAD















Since we moved to the new Dogwood, all six of my four legged felons have been experiencing a period of adjustment to their new surroundings. During that time, we have had little accidents and little burst of temper (mine), and other quirks that have developed along the way.


One BAD quirk was developed by little Daisy, who chewed and licked her leg until she developed a raw, ugly sore. I tried my best to keep ointment on it and wrapped it at night so that the medicated gel could actually soak into her leg and not her tongue. But after a few days, the spot grew deep red and became puffy, and I knew we would be seeing the new vet again very soon.

I have no issues with going to a vet’s office. I do have an issue with getting there. Vet visits mean hog tying a dog or cat into the car, holding them there, and usually arriving covered in hair, fur, slobber, and in some cases, my own blood.

So on Saturday morning, I took an extra nerve pill, put Daisy’s leash and harness on her, and started for the door. She went BONKERS at the thought of going outside the gate of the fenced in yard. Her case of excitement was so severe that I finally just picked her up and put her in the car instead of trying to gain any type of control to lead her there.

Better Half drove the car, and I did my best to keep the Mexican jumping bean from leaping from back seat to front seat.

After about a mile, Daisy became entranced by the passing scenery and stopped bucking like a Texas mule . But she still wanted nothing more but to be in the front seat. I finally relented and prepared to put the strangle hold on the little octopus to keep her in place.

Strangle hold not required.

Daisy leaped into my lap and sat as quiet and still as a toddler, watching the scenery pass by and looking at me every few seconds with a smile that could melt steel wool. She was a very good girl all the rest of the way to the vet, and did very, very well in the office.

Unfortunately, Daisy’s little lick fetish had infected the skin and she was placed on antibiotics and was fitted for a head cone. I’m very glad we went to the vet, as she had already started another spot on the other leg. The cone will hopefully deter the licking until the spots heal, and then we will try Black Cherry therapy in hopes that the awful taste will keep her from doing it again.

SO for now, I have a canine cone head that keeps jacking my jaw when she leaps up to give me “lubbins”.

But you know—that’s OK. You see, Daisy is one of the seven most special beings in my world. As long as she is healthy and happy—she can crack me in the skull with that plastic lampshade all she likes.

It just goes to show you, God provides so many simple thing s in life to bring us joy. But they can also bring so much more. I have always heard it said that when the Lord wants you to grow spiritually, he plants a seed somewhere in your heart or life that he hopes will become a blossoming flower of knowledge, patience, strength, or happiness.

In my case, God knew a seed just wouldn’t be enough. So he planted a fur bed, including one special variety of a whole blooming, blossoming, exploding flower.
At Dogwood, and in my heart, God planted a Daisy.

2 comments:

  1. How do the rest of the pack handle the cone on Daisy? Any mishaps with that one?

    Hugs,
    Skeeter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sebastian went crazy and spent the weekend in the top of the kitchen cabinets. Other than that--all is well.

    ReplyDelete