THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Tuesday, September 27, 2011

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

Well, never let it be said that my four legged kids don't keep us on our toes.
Last weekend, my second oldest child, Charlie,taught Better Half and I  a valuable lesson about storing snacks in the bedroom.
Charlie is my special boy. He is my most timid and loving fur baby, making him appear to be a bit dim at times. But in truth, Charlie is sharp as a tack and has the most talented paws in the west. Charlie can now add a new talent to his resume: opening drawers.
I had bought a bag of mini-Three Musketeers, eaten most of the bag, and put the rest safely in the drawer of my nightstand . Or so I thought.
Saturday evening, after arriving home from a fun filled day of cleaning on the old Clarksville house, I heard a scuffle in the bedroom. After a quick head count, I discovered that Charlie and Sebastian the cat were missing.
I entered the room to find Sebastian sitting at the foot of the bed, his feelings hurt, watching Charlie devour the plastic bag that had once contained the candy.  My nightstand drawer stood open, fresh nail scratches on the front where my little sneak thief had patiently pulled and pulled until he had gained access.
 Charlie looked up at me like a deer in the headlights,with one of the confections still hanging out of his mouth. BUSTED!
Chocolate is BAD for dogs, and in mass quantities can prove fatal--especially dark or bakers chocolate. I really had no idea how many of the mini's were left in the bag after my own pig-out the night before, but as Charlie has a very sensitive stomach anyway, I knew we might be in trouble.
 I kicked into First Aid mode.
If a dog eats poisonous material, and you catch it early enough,  you can usually get the dog to vomit the offensive material back up by giving them a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. CHECK WITH YOUR VET on this--as you can seriously harm your pets stomach if you give too much, or cause further damage if your animal  already has stomach issues as Charlie does.  
Since I was totally unsure on the number of mini-bars he had digested, and because of his history of  tummy trouble, I decided that instead of inducing vomiting, I would  focus on moving the candy through Charlie from one end to the other.
First, I fed him an extra big meal to urge the candy and wrappers (Charlie doesn't waste anything) thru his system. Extra fiber  (canned pumpkin is GREAT)can help push thru now what might become an obstruction later. Movement also helps digestion, so he and I got some one on one time out in the yard.
Having some play time can also let you know if something is happening to your pet that require attention. If the dog can't function, then seek MEDICAL HELP IMMEDIATELY!!!
As Charlie chased his ball and explored his new back yard paradise,  I checked him ever so often by pushing on his tummy and sides and listening to his tummy to make sure I could hear things moving along.  A silent tummy is a sure sign of trouble. If pushing on the dogs stomach or sides shows a reaction of having any pain, or discomfort, that's another big clue that you need a VET ASAP!! I also was eye balling the color of his gums to assure that shock wasn't setting in. 
All was normal, and remained so.
The night went well. Charlie ate, drank,  played and pooped as usual. No vomit or diarrhea, which are also signs of big trouble. I had begun to wonder if maybe he hadn't gotten further than the candy I retrieved from his mouth.  But we hit the jack pot on Sunday afternoon, when Charlie barfed up a handful of candy wrappers and a wad of grass.
As I cleaned up his little candy factory mess, he actually  BELCHED in my ear. How's that for gratitude?????
So far, so good. No problems in the poo or eating department--no pain in the stomach--just a pain in my backside from having to sit up half the night with him and watch him like a hawk.
But there's nothing I wouldn't do for my special child. I'm just thankful to God it all came out OK.  One thing is for sure: There will be no more snacks in my night stand from now on.
Chocolate, candy, and candy wrappers don't mix with fur and paws. Make sure that you know what to do if something like this happens at your house!  Get the facts! Have a plan! Consult your vet and always keep an emergency number for after hours medical attention so that you can SAVE THE LIFE YOU LOVE SO MUCH!!

1 comment:

  1. WoW!! Glad everything is ok... dang, I love Three Musketeers!

    ReplyDelete