THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Monday, April 29, 2013

THE DOGWOOD ORCHESTRA


It’s the close of another Sunday.  The sky’s bright blue color and has begun the decent into shades of evening navy, which will evolve into the inky blackness of night.

On the back patio of Dogwood, I find my trusty rocking chair and enjoy a quiet smoke alone.  A smooth breeze flows thru the trees around me, causing a hypnotic sway which eases me into a relaxed state of mind.

The light is fading, ever so slowly, so sweetly, and the creatures in the woods that surround our new home pick up their evening song.  It will build to a crescendo as the sun slips past the horizon, sending their music out over the night air with a strength that would make any AM radio station jealous.  

It’s quite a little orchestra I have playing around me. The frogs in the nearby pond lay the ground work of the bass and drums.  A thousand crickets’ play a slivery sound layer of stings overtop of the booming frogs. The breeze whispers through the branches overhead, creating a light yet potent sound of rustling and scrapes that complement the other elements already in the air.

Suddenly, and unexpectedly, the twill sound of tonight’s solo artist bursts forth over top the heavy orchestral tune.  I turn to see a little gray bird sitting just inside the lip of the concrete barbeque.  Later I discover that she has built her nest inside the cone of the chimney, and has laid her eggs. 

She is soon to be a mother.

But tonight, she is a star.

Her song is sad, somewhat mournful.  I wonder what could possibly make one of the Lord’s most beautiful creations so sad. But then I remember it’s just the opening of her song.

The notes begin low, but as the arrangement progresses, she sings from her heart. The notes dance in the air, becoming more and more energized and happy. Soon she is chirping at the top of her lungs. It is her song of celebration.  She is thanking her creator for another sweet day on the Earth, for her home and her soon to be born babes that will complete her existence.

The concert goes on for more than half an hour. But as the spot light of the fading sun exits, the song begins to lose its volume, and it too slowly fades into the darkness.

As the stars begin to twinkle overhead, the orchestra loses interest in its own tune.  The music of nature separates, and becomes simply noises of the night. The solo artist takes her bow, and retreats back to her dressing room in the chimney of the barbeque.  Suddenly, I am alone again, and the dark velvet of night makes me drowsy.

The curtain of night has fallen over the stage, and this evening’s performance has come to a close. Along with it, the day has finished too. 

So like the musicians who have entertained me, I pull myself from my front row seat, and sleepily move toward the door.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment