THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Tuesday, March 20, 2012

YEARLY SHOTS TURN INTO A PAIN IN THE HINES!!!

Pictured: The Rat Terror (I mean terrier) of Dogwood: Hines

Like all good parents, I love my kids and do everything I can to assure their good health and that any type of disease or illness that might threaten them will be held at bay. Even though my children are four legged, chase squirrels, and take an occasional drink from the toilet, they receive their physicals and shots yearly, and are treated with heart worm prevention, and flea and tick preventative monthly.

My oldest daughter, Alpha Dog, and Queen of the roost: Lucy, received her yearly pop in the behind and a clean bill of health in December. We had no problems, no struggles, and Lucy actually behaved herself so that it was actually a pleasant visit.

Last Saturday morning, it was Hines and Daisy's turn. Since putting these two together is as dangerous  as mixing Nitro and Gun Powder--I wasn't looking forward to this event. It's not that they fight--Lord no! They lick each other like lolly pops 24 hours a day. But Hines gets a little bit of an attitude when he goes to the vet, and Daisy gets a tad over excited.
Ok-honestly, Hines turns into a little dictator and Daisy, who is already bonkers, goes into CRAZY OVER DRIVE mode. But at Dogwood, we don't keep score on these things--we just draw another target and keep firing!

Sooooooo, anyway, added to the already dreaded situation was the fact that this would be Hines first visit to the Waverly vet.  It had taken us over three years to get him used to going to our beloved Dr. Ramey in Clarksville. She was the A#1 vet care giver to all of the Dogwood inmates for the past eight years. But with the move to Waverly, we had to decide if we would drive the hour back or dig in locally. With gas prices being what they are, we had to find a Waverly vet.

We met Dr. Linda Baty on our first visit to Eastbrook Animal Clinic.  Lucy had one of her usual bladder infections, and it just makes life easier to get her on meds than to have your head bit off because of her foul mood. Better Half and I have sung the bladder blues with Lucy 1000 times, and we pretty much know each note by heart. Dr. Baty knew the song too---and even a few verses that I had forgotten--and that proved to me that she not only knew what she was talking about--but that she gave a damn.

So far, she had met Lucy, Bart, and Sebastian. She had met Daisy earlier also (and lived to tell the tale).

And now, it was time for the good doctor to meet the rat terror (I mean terrier) of Dogwood.

To my surprise, Hines was actually cordial during his visit. I'm not sure if it was Dr. Baty's table side manner or Daisy bouncing around the room like a nerf ball on meth, but he didn't bite anybody or try to claw his way thru the door. I was quite pleased.

Until the next day.

My poor little Hines dog. He's so small, and he is so fragile. When we got up Sunday morning, his little leg swelled up and he was hobbling around like a broken wind up toy. I thought he might also have a temperature. As the day went on, he began to scream out if his little foot even touched the floor. 
Been there--done that--know what to do.

So we made an Emergency call to Dr. Baty, who met Better Half at the office within thirty minutes of our call. She gave him some meds and another shot. Better Half said Hines was so happy (or drugged) that he even gave her kisses.

Dr. Baty didn't charge us a cent. When I heard that--I was ready to give her kisses too.

So Daisy came thru with flying (literally) colors, and we had that one little bump on the butt with Hines.
Otherwise, everyone is OK.

Charlie, my special child, will be up at bat in June. And then everyone will be all happy and shot up for another year.
I have been very fortunate--two great vets in my life--six fur kids that love us as much as we love them--and minor crisises instead of fatal ones.
But one of my babies has a different opinion. He thinks the whole thing is just one big pain in the HINES.

No comments:

Post a Comment