THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Monday, March 5, 2012

To Death--I am A Sore Loser

Ernest
                                                                      Peeky

                                                                                  Max
                                                                              Duchess


Death and I don't get along.  He's always stronger than me--and no matter how hard I fight him--I always end up losing.  Death isn't like fighting Chance or holding onto to HOPE. Death is the one that is just too strong to take down.

Lately Death seems to be taking more and more of my friends.

My little Duchess, who I had fallen in love with while she was living at the shelter, fell ill and died overnight--cause--parvo. She was there one minute, and gone the next--no excuse, no chance to say good bye--just gone.  I can still see her running for the piece of rope, and hear her sweet bark, telling me that she wanted a treat. But they are just ghosts of what was--Duchess is gone.

Little Peek a Choo--my old feline friend up at Cats Are Us, who passed over the Rainbow Bridge on February 24th--he lived his entire life in that shelter--he had bladder issues that no one could see past--not even me.  I always promised him that one day he would have a forever home. I lied. Everyone loved Peeky--everyone made him the promise to come back for him. No one came back for Peeky--no one gave him that chance--now it's too late.  I wanted to give him something that I couldn't--and I am heartbroken that I never tried. He was sweet as the day was long, and I mourn his loss very deeply.

Ernest---someone I pulled for and prayed for to be rescued from the Animal Control. I got my prayer answered--and again got Death's swift kick in the gutt. Ernest had only been removed from AC a few days when he fell mysteriously ill and was fighting for his life. Again I asked God to intervene, but Ernest was already spoken for. He past away last week, leaving his rescuers to grieve for the mission unfulfilled.

Little Max--the little white chinless wonder dog who was beloved to my in-laws--went to be with God last week too. Little Max was a card--cute, cuddly--loving.  He had a good long life and was treated very well. But even though we can be comforted by that thought, it is still so hard to say good bye to someone we loved so much. But little Max too, is gone, running free and painless thru the high Cotton in the Fields of the Lord forever.

So many others--so many names and faces that pass thru my life and my computer screen and my emails--everyday. Some of them I have hands on experience with. Some I simply fall in love with thru a picture. Some I cared for, or known thru rescue, looking into their eyes and seeing the light that burns to love a human and be their friend.

So many little faces that leave this Earth, and take a little bit of me with them when they go.

I don't like Death. It's a lose/lose situation.
I can fight depression.
I can resist temptation.
I can wrestle fear, and anxiety, and even stomp out anger.
But death is something  too much to bare.
The only way to deal with death, and the ones that it takes from me---

is to live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment