THE EVOLUTION FROM PRINT TO BLOG

For two years, I wrote a newspaper column about the misadventures of the Dogwood pack. Our pack consists of my six dogs ,two cats, and me. We have the Queen and oldest, Lucy the Lab. Then there's my special Child, Charlie, a German Shepherd/lab mix who owns me. My rat terror (I mean terrier) Hines keeps us in check, while Italian grey hound/terrier mix Daisy destroys the furniture. Our sweet cat Pearl, who passed away in August of 2010 from complications brought on by Feline Leukemia, was a lone feline for her short five year existence. When she passed, orange long hair tabby kitty Bart, and Siamese Flame Point Sebastian moved into our hearts.



When we moved to a new town, I was unable to continue the columns, so we decided to stick our paws into the 21st century.
Since the move, TWO MORE sets of paws run the floors at Dogwood. Linus, a little black lab, and Squirt the Chi-Weenie.

Now that we have moved onto blog media, I will keep the mayhem of my fur kids adventures updated as they happen. I also want to post special needs animals and stories about shelters and people who are doing wonderful work for rescue. Since this is no longer edited or censored--you may see images that are a bit more shocking, and read copy that has a bit more venom--so be prepared. Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!



TO COMMENT: Write your comment in the open box and select ANONYMOUS. You can sign your name in your comment so we know who said what-LOL





Thursday, April 12, 2012

GET YOURSELF A DOGWOOD FACELIFT




Having pets is an adventure surrounded by a world of wonder.

In other words—you wonder how in the world you will live thru the next adventure.

It’s 24/7 at Dogwood—never a dull moment.

For example:

When bedtime rolls around at Dogwood, the dogs are the first to claim the valuable real estate. Once the dust settled and everyone has calmed down--the two kitty cats will sneak in and wedge themselves into the mix. Bart rolls all over everybody and usually settles in with Daisy somewhere near the foot board. Sebastian is MY cuddle bug. He has to be right up against my chest, with his head thrown back under my neck.

Well, one night recently, we were in a bit of disarray. Lucy was having an allergy itch, so she wanted to sleep between Better Half and me. Hines had burrowed under the covers on MY side, where he usually sleeps under the Better Half's protecting blanket. Daisy practically strapped to my back like a nap sack, her feet sticking straight out over my side. Charlie had completely called it quits and had gotten down into the floor, and after walking over me four or five times, Bart joined him.

By the time everyone shifted ten times and rolled over me a few more--I DIDN'T CARE!!

With Lucy and Daisy taking up most of the center of the bed, there just wasn't room for Sebastian on the edge. So he decided that lying on the pillow behind me would suffice.

He had never done this before, so I didn't think much about it. But as Sebastian is my most curious little man in the house-I should have known this was going to end badly.
He was lying at the top of the pillow and my head was at the bottom. I don’t think he was liking the fact that there was no “snuggie” element to this arrangement. He was bound and determined that he was going to rest his head on mine--but I was too far away.

Sebastian began reaching down into my hair and pulling it with his claws. He was rolling around on the top of the pillow, trying to figure out how he could transform himself into a cat fur bed cap and plop himself on my skull for the night. But all he managed to do was pull what’s left of my hair off the top of my head! I smacked at his little footie's several times, and finally he stopped.

I had just started to drift off to sleep when I felt the slightest twinge of pain on the right side of my head.

Then there was a HUGE stab of pain as little curious Sebastian dug his claws into both sides of my forehead and pulled.

If the man won't go to the mountain--bring the mountain to him-right??

For about three seconds, with Sebastian’s claws buried in my flesh, pulling it back on my head like silly putty--I must have looked like a fifteen year old--- a horrified--pain ridden--fifteen year old.

I ended up with a punctured headache . But my skull didn't hurt half as bad as Sebastian’s backside.

So now you know the story of how Sebastian gave me what has become lovingly known as :
A Dogwood Facelift.

2 comments:

  1. You guys need a King size bed if you don't have one already plus mattress on the floor.
    At least they all get along and don't have to se seperated. Sadly after ten years of peaceful loving sisters we now have to keep Brittany seperated from Courtney and Penelope. Brittany started getting aggressive and started attacking Courtney ( they had always been best friend )then little Miss Prss Penelope decided she would attack Brittany back. Now we have to take tuens letting them out with us at different times. We've tried several things and nothing has worked. Part of the problem is Brittany's Hyperesthesia (who has Hyperesthesia since she was year old )had gotten worse. We are at out wit's ends!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pam, Get a larger bed if you have not already done so. And a mattress on the floor would be a good idea. Now remember we upgraded to a King Bed a while back and our two furballs still cuddle up beside us each night. Well, in the winter, during the summer months, they live in the sunroom with the warmer temps.... Crazy cats, gotta love em...

    ReplyDelete